Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Girter me this, Girter me that

I wanted to get a sense for memory's sake of the size of this girter we had to hoist up in position over the beams we raised. It is a weight carrying and distributing beam that will have the floor joists attached to it. The beams are made of four 2 by 12 inch boards 16 feet long nailed together and lifting that weight is something that I feel really proud to have been a part of! The beam must have weighed more than us combined. Holy canneloni! The first is up, one more to be made and hoisted tomorrow. The wood on the ground is only for dimensional sharing purposes. It's not the one we nailed together. Those four boards we later cut correctly and raised as joists. We'll have some more of those big guys delivered tomorrow, and we hope to make some more good progress. One last picture to upload tonight, and that's of some of the joists nailed into place. Our measurements are right on the nose. This makes us feel SO good. I think I mentioned my tape measuring friend, but I want to say again, that we are feeling pretty good so far for a pair of amateurs! :-) We will keep up our good behavior.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: